DHUnplugged #49 – Mass Weirdness (The Dollar Will Rise Again!)

Here is our latest conversation …. new insights for anyone who invests in anything. This week we highlight a discussion about specific stocks to examine.

NEW! We are now tracking the stocks that Andrew recommends each episode. Here is the link

Listen to reasons why and then take a look at the spreadsheet for results. News and item discussed in this episode – CLICK HERE

Sponsor: Try GoToMeeting free for 30 days!
For this special offer, visit www.gotomeeting.com/podcast

SpinningWildMouseEX

Many stocks discussed!

___

Looking to invest in The Disciplined Investor Managed Growth Strategy?
Click below for the 14-minute virtual tour….

___

Disclosure: Horowitz & Company clients may hold positions of securities mentioned as of the date published.

___

Weekly Stock Picks Tracking Spreadsheet

___

Why we added to MELI

meli012010

Play

14 Responses to “DHUnplugged #49 – Mass Weirdness (The Dollar Will Rise Again!)”

1. Alex

You don’t need to do a full-out talk-for-24-hours filibuster anymore. There’s something called a “procedural filibuster” where the opposition party will just file hundreds of amendments, requiring a reading and a debate and a vote on every single one of them. The Democrats did that for the tax cut bill (as an example) in 2001, and the Republicans did that for just about everything in 2009. That’s why you need 60 votes to do anything.

2. Hunter

While I agree that Andrew’s theory about gaming expansion impacting Las Vegas is logical, it’s not reflected by reality.

Pennsylvania recently added gaming but the tax rate is so onerous (~50%) that companies aren’t making major, Las Vegas/Atlantic City level of investments in their properties where gaming tax is in the ~12% range. These are not real competitors to Las Vegas. Las Vegas is about much more than gaming – now less than 50% of resort revenues come from gaming, down from 80%+ a decade ago.

History has shown the expansion of gaming, very common in the 90s, has not hurt Las Vegas. Gaming is in 48 states right now, in some form or another. People ‘learn’ at their local casinos and then want to go to Las Vegas for the ‘real thing’.

Atlantic City operators are typically far more impacted as their revenues are still much more dependent on gaming win.

CA state law bans games where a decision is made via a wheel or dice. http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050625/news_1n25nodice.html

3. john wilson

So John says he is all out…where did he park his money?

What would be a good asset allocation given what we don’t know about what is going on or what are you using right now? What % do you have in the market and what % elsewhere?

4. Ben

Andrew and John’s comments about texting aid to Haiti was highly uninformed: the popular text destination of 90999 sends $10 to the Red Cross* via one’s cellular account, and most U.S. wireless carriers are fast-tracking the donations directly to their destination (see Techcrunch.com for more info). I thought this level of ignorant snarkiness on both hosts’ part to be really annoying, and is making me consider joining my Icelandic brothers and sisters in unsubscribing to the podcast.

*As for whether the Red Cross ties up donations is another matter, but that’s not my impression of what the hosts were talking about.

5. fat gut

I’m not sure what to think honestly. A budof mine was arguing with me the other day about something like this, but I have a hard time defending my positions on the spot without preparation.

6. Walker Freetage

If you are looking to get started making rap beats there is the perfect solution for beginners and professionals alike. It is a software package called Dub Turbo and basically this is the equivalent of a DAW (digital audio WorkStation) on your computer. Read more…

7. Arica Hecht

I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my site :)

8. fashion

Can I simply say what a relief to search out someone who actually knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know tips on how to deliver a difficulty to mild and make it important. More individuals must read this and understand this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more common because you positively have the gift.

9. www.uniondaleroofing.com

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing
    this site. I am hoping to view the same high-grade content by you later on
    as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to
    get my own, personal blog now ;)

10. Todd

Good morning,

I had an idea for the “show.” I see that there are a lot of detailed graphs and some nomenclature that is foreign to me.

It might be helpful to note what the acronyms being used mean, how to read the graphs, and to list tools that the two of you use to determine the viability of the different stocks. Then “we” could play along.

Just a thought….

I really enjoy the show. Keep up the good work.

…todd